Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I took the apron that I have been working on to the cleaners so I needed a project to work on. So, I pulled out a project that I started a couple of years ago. This is the scarf to go with the Kyjov costume I made for Sarah. I took the antique scarf to a copier and made a copy of it. Then I taped it together to create a pattern to transfer the design to the fabric. I used sewing tracing paper to apply the design to the fabric. The costume is lovely without the scarf so I haven't been in too big of a rush to finish but it is a small project I can carry easily to work on in the car, doctor's office or anywhere I am stuck waiting. What do you think?

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hat for a Reproduction for a Hanacky Costume

Since I am almost finished with the apron for this costume, I am now turning my attention to the hat. And I need help from my readers. Is this hat for a special occasion, possibly for a bride? Any information would be helpful, so email me at Thanks and keep the emails coming.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Update on the New Apron for Sarah’s Hanacky Kroj

Here is a photo showing the back side. After all, everybody wants to see the back. Click on the photo to enlarge.

As many of you know I am working on a Hanacky kroj (costume) for my daughter, Sarah. Sarah was chosen in 2006 to be Miss Czech-Slovak USA Queen and she made many appearances in many states so I began making authentic-looking Czech Costumes for her to wear so she would not always have to wear the same costume. So far I have made a Kyjov, Wallachian and Hanacky costume (see earlier posts for photos and details). However, when I finished the Hanacky kroj, Sarah and I agreed that the apron needed more embroidery. So last March I began making the new apron and I am not rushing it with hundreds of hours of embroidery so far. I am pleased with the progress so far and am now trying to decide what else I would like to add to it. I would love to add handmade lace to the bottom, but I have no idea how to make lace. My second choice is to get some lace from the Czech Republic so I am looking in to that now. The fabric I have chosen for the apron is a heavier broadcloth and it holds the embroidery well and is substantial enough that it can be stiffly starched.
I love to hear from readers, so please continue to send me your comments and questions. This is just a hobby for me and I am always glad to help.
On a related note, I am looking in to making the designs I used on Sarah’s costumes in to iron-on transfers so if you would be interested in something like that, email me at