Friday, March 5, 2010

Update on the New Apron for Sarah’s Hanacky Kroj

Here is a photo showing the back side. After all, everybody wants to see the back. Click on the photo to enlarge.

As many of you know I am working on a Hanacky kroj (costume) for my daughter, Sarah. Sarah was chosen in 2006 to be Miss Czech-Slovak USA Queen and she made many appearances in many states so I began making authentic-looking Czech Costumes for her to wear so she would not always have to wear the same costume. So far I have made a Kyjov, Wallachian and Hanacky costume (see earlier posts for photos and details). However, when I finished the Hanacky kroj, Sarah and I agreed that the apron needed more embroidery. So last March I began making the new apron and I am not rushing it with hundreds of hours of embroidery so far. I am pleased with the progress so far and am now trying to decide what else I would like to add to it. I would love to add handmade lace to the bottom, but I have no idea how to make lace. My second choice is to get some lace from the Czech Republic so I am looking in to that now. The fabric I have chosen for the apron is a heavier broadcloth and it holds the embroidery well and is substantial enough that it can be stiffly starched.
I love to hear from readers, so please continue to send me your comments and questions. This is just a hobby for me and I am always glad to help.
On a related note, I am looking in to making the designs I used on Sarah’s costumes in to iron-on transfers so if you would be interested in something like that, email me at

No comments: