Thursday, March 22, 2012

Antique Costume



You may recognize this costume from a previous post (May 2011). It was given to me by a reader of this blog. (Many thanks!!) It is quite old and the person who gave it to me said it has been in her family forever. The costume appears to be Bohemian, possibly from an urban setting and would have been worn by a mature woman.

I cleaned the blouse with a gentle detergent, Biz and Shout. I put a color catcher in the water just in case the black thread along the neckline started to bleed. The lace appears to be handmade, and it is beautiful. I took the vest and skirt to the cleaners. There is a white underskirt that is heavily pleated. I have not cleaned it yet; not sure how without ruining the pleats.

I still have much to do but I thought you might want to see what it looks like all put together. I will post more pictures as I make progress.

Many thanks to the fans of my Facebook Czech Costumes page for their expertise. Click the Facebook icon to the right of this page and you can follow the comments and meet others interested in Czech costumes.

No comments: