Since I did not have a vest pattern for the Kyjov vest, I traced a pattern from the authentic vest. You could probably make a pattern by using a regular vest pattern and trimming it to fit. I chose a deep red fabric with a nice pattern. I traced the inset from the authentic vest. You could do the same thing, by trimming the vest pattern down to make a pattern for the inset piece for the embroidery. I ironed on embroidery transfers. Sarah wanted yellow roses on the back since we are from Texas. I started on the bead work for the front. I found that I could get beads from the Czech Republic at Michael's. Each bead and sequin were tied in a knot on the back to add strength. That way if there is an accident that rips off some beads, the rest will remain secure. I reproduced the beautiful gold bead work that was on the original by attaching a gold ribbon and then sewing gold seed and bugle beads to form the desired design. Sarah loved watching the bead work and she wanted to help so she did all the bead work on the back. I found some beautiful gold buttons with red jewel stones but I hope to replace them some day with buttons from the Czech Republic.